Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

If you are here for the first time you may choose to browse through the following:


My CAIRO CAPERS & DUBAI DARSHAN (2009)
My stories on MSN/iVarta (2008)
My AFGHANISTAN DIARY, (2007),
My BUSY BEE COLUMNS ( 2006 - 07),
My MUSINGS (2004-2006)
My NEWSLETTERS for my children
My CARTOONS
My PUBLISHED ARTCLES


But if you are tired of reading, refresh yourself with a round of Hangman... Or just shut your eyes and enjoy some good Music.

Whatever you do, please leave a message on the Message Board before you go. I'd love it !

Thursday, September 03, 2009

CITIZEN JOURNALISM

News is becoming increasingly conversational. You look at the number of blogs mushrooming with a distinct voice of their own, sometimes in angry resonance to the million voiceless and you are set thinking - Citizen Journalism - it is happening! How will it impact our life in the near future and what can be its pitfalls? Can this vehicle of dissent be manipulated to let's say create a war someday?It is fairly easy today with the kind of technology we have to mobilise a small force. Vested interest can take the lot for a ride. This was a spirited topic of discussion on BBC yesterday. You can hear more about it here.

For a freelance journalist like me this is of immense interest. There is no doubt an element of bias when you report anything subjectively and you are not really concerned about the impact it may create when you are blogging just to vent yourself. If that voice is powerful enough its will start a small ripple somewhere. And if it is sustained it can turn into a movement...Interesting. I was just writing about how the advertising gurus are gunning at digitising the whole concept of consumerism and marketing. Citizen journalism is another side of that very prism... a potentially more catastrophic one.

1 comment:

Rush said...

a new evolution, a new beginning.

Every element has its cause, its effect...and citizen journalism can bring about an awakening.

Your words deliver a powerful message and leave us inspired and motivated.

Thanks Jaya

COPYSCAPE

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape